This Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole with a crunchy cinnamon, pecan, and coconut topping is a must have at our family Thanksgiving table.
This side dish is basically a dessert, but it has sweet potatoes in it so it has to be healthy, right?
COOKING SWEET POTATOES IN AN INSTANT POT
Cooking sweet potatoes in a pressure cooker is SO easy and makes the potatoes taste so much butter. 20-30 minutes in the Instant Pot will get the most delicious and easy to mash sweet potatoes.
You can easily make the potatoes the night before, and assemble and bake the casserole the next day for convenience.
COCONUT PECAN TOPPING
The topping is the BEST part of this recipe. I know there are a lot of traditional recipes that use marshmallows, but this topping takes the cake (see what I did there).
1 cup brown sugar, chopped pecans, coconut, and a little butter mixed together to make the best topping you will ever have, I promise.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
First, you want to prepare your sweet potatoes. Wash them well and place them in your Instant Pot on a trivet. Add in 1 cup of water and place the lid on sealing. Cook for approx. 30-35 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes. Cook until you can pierce with a fork.
Next, remove the skin from the sweet potatoes and mash well. Add sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla and mix until well combined. Pour the mixture into a large baking dish and smooth.
To make the topping, add pecans, brown sugar, shredded coconut, flour, and melted butter into a large food processor and pulse until you get a coarse crumb. I like to leave pretty big pieces of pecans for the topping. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the sweet potatoes.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden brown and the casserole is heated through.
EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS RECIPE
IF YOU LOVED THIS INSTANT POT SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE AS MUCH AS I DO, MAKE SURE YOU SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS ON FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST SO THEY CAN MAKE IT TOO!
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- Place sweet potatoes on a trivet in your instant pot along with 1 cup of water. Place lid on sealing and set on high manual pressure for 25-30 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes.
- Once you can pierce the potatoes with a fork and they are done, remove from instant pot and remove the skin and mash in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla to the sweet potatoes and mix until well combined. Pour into a large baking dish and smooth.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the topping by adding the brown sugar, pecans, coconut, flour, and melted butter into a food processor and pulse until you get a coarse crumb. I like leaving a few larger pieces of pecan in my topping.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the top of the sweet potatoes and bake for 25-30 minutes until the topping is golden brown and the casserole is warmed through.
- Store covered at room temperature until ready to serve.