Move over pizza, hello pepperoni pizza sliders. The perfect slider recipe for any night of the week. Slider buns loaded with pizza sauce, and mozzarella cheese and basted with a buttery garlic baste, and baked to golden perfection.
These pepperoni sliders are a great weeknight dinner idea or serve up for game-day party food. No matter what time of the day or when you serve up these sliders, they will sure to get devoured.
There is something about a slider that just lures you in. Kids and adults love slider sandwiches and this pizza slider recipe is one that is hard to beat. It is all the flavors of pizza but in a sandwich form!
Reasons Why You’ll Love This Pepperoni Pizza Sliders Recipe
- Simple everyday ingredients are used.
- Can be served as a dinner option or party food for a crowd.
- Easy prep. Quick cook time.
- Supremely cheesy in every single bite!
- Kid approved.
- Budget-friendly to make.
- Versatile in ingredients you use.
- Rolls – Slider Hawaiian rolls, or butter flavored.
- Sauce – Pizza sauce, divided.
- Pepperoni – Sliced.
- Cheese – Shredded mozzarella.
- Butter- Unsalted, melted.
- Seasoning – Garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
Top Slider Rolls To Use
Here are a few options for rolls for this Pepperoni Pizza Sliders recipe. Feel free to use the type of rolls that fit your preference.
Hawaiian – Hawaiian tends to be the most popular as it adds an incredible sweetness to the sandwich!
Butter – If you are not a fan of sweets, reach for butter rolls. These are incredible in flavor and will complement any filling.
Pretzel – Did you know they make pretzel sliders? These are a harder roll that has a nice salted top. A fun twist to a classic slider roll.
Potato – Potato rolls are extra fluffy and soft. A more mellow flavored roll that won’t take away from the filling in the sandwich.
Variations to Recipe
Meat – You can use any type of cooked meat for these sliders. Ground beef, Italian sausage, Canadian bacon, etc. Or create a multi-meat and do a mix of meat for each slider.
Cheese – Mozzarella is traditional for pizza but go ahead and reach for any type of cheese you would like.
Sauce – Now if you want to make homemade pizza sauce. Or you can buy it or even reach for spaghetti sauce if you don’t have pizza sauce on hand.
Seasonings – I used garlic and Italian seasonings on top, but you could swap that out and do some freshly diced parsley and parmesan mixed with butter if you don’t want added spices.
Veggies – If you want to add some veggies on that is great. Just saute firmer items like peppers, mushrooms, etc. These need to be sauteed a bit so they can soften, as they won’t soften in the sandwich. Then pile on the meat and cheese and bake as you would.
Pro Tips for Success
Make sure that you try to slice the rolls evenly. That way you have a good thickness on top and bottom of all the sliders.
Don’t overfill the sliders with meat, sauce, and cheese or it will become too messy and can cause the rolls to get soggy on the bottom.
Brushing with the butter mixture will help ensure the rolls don’t get hard as they bake in the oven. Do not skip that step.
If you want more sauce consider having a side for dipping that way you can get even more saucy goodness in each bite.
When the tops are nice and golden brown the rolls are done and ready to be used. You mostly just want to heat up the ingredients on the sliders.
If you happen to not eat all the pizza sliders at once, simply place any leftovers in a sealed bag or container. Then refrigerate for 3-4 days.
When you want to reheat warm in the oven or opt for a quick reheat in the microwave.
You can also freeze any rolls you don’t plan to eat right away. Simply place it in a freezer-friendly container and freeze it for 3-4 months. Then thaw in the fridge overnight and then reheat as you would wish.
Can I make meatless sliders?
Yes, you sure can. Just leave out the meat and do a cheese and sauce base. Cook the same and once the cheese is melted and the top of the buns are golden brown then serve.
Can I use a different type of cheese?
Any cheese will work for these slider sandwiches. Feel free to use what you have on hand or reach for your favorite variety. Just top and bake the same no matter what type of cheese you use.
What type of pan to use for making slider sandwiches?
You can use a 9×13 casserole dish or even a rimmed baking sheet if you plan to double the recipe and want a larger pan. Both work great. The biggest thing is using a container that keeps the sandwiches close together so they hold shape as the cheese melts.
Can I double the recipe?
Of course, go right ahead and reach for a rimmed baking sheet and add two or more rows of packages of rolls. Make sure the sandwiches are in a single row.
Make sure to check out my chocolate orange cake to serve up as a fantastic dessert option.
Pepperoni Pizza Sliders
- 1 package Hawaiian dinner rolls
- 1 cup pizza sauce divided
- ½ 5 ounce package sliced pepperoni
- 2 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray..
- Slice the dinner rolls through the middle. Place the bottoms on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the bottoms with about ¼ cup of the pizza sauce. Reserve the remaining pizza sauce for dipping.
- On top of the roll bottoms, create layers of pepperoni and cheese, starting and ending with cheese. Add the tops of the dinner rolls.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter and seasonings. Brush the seasoned butter over the top of the sliders.
- Cover the sliders with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes or until the sliders are golden brown.
- Cut the sandwiches apart and serve warm.