This post first appeared on Savory Experiments where I am a contributor.
These Pink Lemonade Cupcakes scream summertime! These cupcakes start with a box cake mix with a fresh lemon flavor swirled with perfectly sweet homemade buttercream. All topped off with adorable sprinkles, lemons, and of course a mini straw
This Pink Lemonade Cupcake recipe is SUPER easy and can be whipped up in about 30 minutes!
TIPS FOR PERFECT CUPCAKES
- Do not overmix the batter. Just like any cake recipe, you want to mix as little as possible to keep that perfectly flakey crumb and not a super dense cake. For this recipe I chose to go with the ole’ bowl and whisk technique instead of using my stand mixer. You mix a lot less when your arms start to get sore.
- Make sure you fill the cupcake liners correctly. If you over fill the liners your cupcakes will flow over and you will have a mess on your hands. MOST cake mixes have instructions on how much batter should go in each liner, but a good rule of thumb is to fill each liner about halfway with batter.
- Cool your cupcakes COMPLETELY before decorating. It is no fun to go through all the trouble to make your cupcakes look all pretty just for the frosting to melt off..
The toppings for these cupcakes are really endless and you can get creative! I used a sprinkle mix by Sprinkle Pop (I am not paid to say that I just really LOVE them!)
I also bought some cute paper straws and cut them into about 3-4 inch pieces.
I used white liners for this recipe, but you can go crazy and use pink or yellow liners to make them pop!
MAKE AHEAD AND STORAGE
If you want to make these Pink Lemonade Cupcakes ahead of time, bake according to instructions and allow them to cool completely. Place the cupcakes in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to two days.
It is best to store them without frosting. However, if you want to make the frosting ahead of time, make according to instructions and place in an airtight container until ready to use. When you are ready to use, whip the frosting using a hand or stand mixer to “re-fluff” it.
TOOLS NEEDED FOR PINK LEMONADE CUPCAKES
Cupcake Liners– I used white, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
Muffin Tins– Most likely you already have these at home. This recipe makes about 24 cupcakes, so I would recommend using two, but still cook one pan at a time.
Pastry Bag and Star Tip– This set has everything you will need to get started and is super cheap!
IF YOU LOVED THESE PINK LEMONADE CUPCAKES AS MUCH AS I DO, MAKE SURE YOU SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS ON FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST SO THEY CAN MAKE IT TOO!
MORE RECIPES TO CHECK OUT!
Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix plus ingredients on box- use egg white only instructions
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon pink food coloring
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pink food color
- Embellishments as desired
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, adding 1 tablespoons lemon extract and one teaspoon pink food coloring.
- Equally divide the batter between 24 muffin tins and bake according to package directions. Allow the cupcakes to cool about 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer equipped with a paddle attachment, cream butter on high speed for 3-4 minutes until smooth.
- Add lemon extract and mix until just combined.
- Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and incorporate completely after each addition.
- Add the heavy cream and mix on low speed. Gradually increase speed to high for about 2 minutes.
- Add pink food color and mix until the color is evenly distributed through the frosting. Place the frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip (I use a Wilton 1M)
- Pipe a generous swirl of frosting on top of each cupcake.
- Top with lemon slices, sprinkles, and mini straws and serve