This post first appeared on Savory Experiments where I am a contributor.
This Red, White, and Blue Cherry Pie requires only five ingredients and is an easy recipe to whip up on any patriotic holiday. Premade pie crust, cherry pie filling, and white frosting are all that you need to make this beautiful pie! It is super easy, but will impress a crowd.Jump to Recipe
RED, WHITE, AND BLUE CHERRY PIE
This is by far the easiest recipe I have on my blog. I understand that sometimes you don't want to spend ALL day making a dessert for a family occasion.
This pie is the perfect fix for that! My son had a BLAST helping me cut out the stars for the top.
HOMEMADE CHERRY PIE FILLING
I did use the premade pie filling for this recipe, but if you have some fresh cherries you want to use for the filling feel free to replace the filling with a homemade version.
I love using this one from My Baking Addiction!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR A RED, WHITE, AND BLUE CHERRY PIE
Pie Crust- you can use premade or make your own!
Cherry Pie Filling- again make your own or go store bought.
White Cookie Frosting- I recommend using store bought here just because I used so little of it, it was more convenient to use store bought tubes of frosting.
Coarse Sugar- This is optional, but I sprinkled a little coarse sugar on some of the stars to give it a little interest and texture. I use Sugar In The Raw.
Egg- This is used for the egg wash to brush over the crust.
Blueberries- To add the "blue" to your pie.
Cherry Pitter- If you want to go the homemade route, this little tool is SO helpful.
Rolling Mat- For rolling out the dough and cutting those cute little stars.
Pie Crust Shields- I always thought these were a waste of time.. but they are SOOOOO helpful. Highly recommend for all pie recipes!
If you love this Red, White, and Blue Cherry Pie as much as I do make sure you share it with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest so they can try it too!
Red, White, and Blue Cherry Pie
- 40 ounces cherry pie filling
- 1 package pie crust (2 crusts) softened according to package directions
- 1 egg
- Cookie frosting
- ½ cup blueberries
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Press one pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate. Crimp edges using your thumb and forefinger.
- Pour cherry pie filling into unbaked pie crust.
- Using a 1-inch star shaped cookie cutter, cut 12-14 stars from the second pie crust. Place in a pattern over cherries, overlapping in some places and touching the exterior crust in others.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and brush over pie crust edges and star cut-outs.
- If using, sprinkle some stars with coarse sugar.
- Place in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. Check during baking to see if the crust is starting to brown too much. If so, place aluminum foil over exterior crust or other burning areas (ore use a handy crust guard I linked above)
- Remove and allow to cool fully.
- When cool, outline several stars with cookie frosting and place blueberries around the top of the cake.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!