Whip up this decadent strawberry lemon blondies recipe. You will have a strawberry batter and lemon batter that gets swirled together and then baked into these incredible bars. This strawberry lemon dessert is a sliceable bar that is perfect for after-dinner, bake sales, or take to your summer cookout.
Not only are these lemon strawberry blondies incredible, but they are bright and colorful. I love that you use box cake mix as the base, so the prep work is easy.
Reasons You Will Love This Recipe
- Starts with a boxed cake mix as the base for the muffins.
- Easy step-by-step ingredients.
- Simple flavors pair up and create a fantastic fruity twist.
- Light and fluffy bars.
- Sliceable and great to serve up a crowd.
- Cake Mix – You will want a box of strawberry cake mix and a box of lemon cake mix.
- Lemon – Fresh lemon juice and zest will be needed.
- Strawberries – Fresh strawberries are diced into small pieces.
- Eggs – Room temperature eggs are best for incorporating into the batter.
- Powdered Sugar – This is the base for the glaze you will drizzle on top.
Variations to Recipe
- Cherry Chip cake instead of strawberry.
- Swap lemon cake mix with vanilla, chocolate, etc.
- Add fresh strawberries that are finely diced into the powdered sugar glaze.
- Dust with powdered sugar instead of a glaze topping.
- Mix in white chocolate chips for added sweetness.
- Feel free to cut the edges around the bars so you get clean squares that are evenly shaped.
- Make sure the strawberry lemon brownies are fully cooled before you add the glaze on top. Or it will melt into the bars.
- The batter is thick, so know it takes a bit to create that swirl effect.
- Don’t overmix the batter or it can make your bars dense.
- Lining the pan with parchment paper is a great way to easily remove the bars so you can slice.
- Ensure you preheat the oven before you bake the bars in the oven.
These cake mix strawberry lemon blondies need to be stored in a sealed container and stored in the fridge. These bars will last 3-4 days, or depending on how moist they are they can go up to 5 days at times. Due to the fresh strawberries refrigeration is needed.
Go ahead and freeze any of the bars you don’t plan to eat right away. Just place it in a freezer bag or container and freeze for 2-3 months. Then when ready to eat thaw on the counter for 30 minutes to an hour. Or refrigerate and thaw slowly overnight.
Can I use frozen strawberries instead of fresh ones?
Yes, you can use frozen strawberries, just thaw them. Once thawed drain off excess liquid and then dice up into small pieces.
Can I add nuts or other mix-ins to the blondies?
Feel free to add in chocolate chips, almonds, cashews, walnuts, or other items. Even coconut flakes would be a delicious elevated flavor.
What size pan does this dessert need?
You will make a 9×13 casserole dish size. If you decide to double the recipe just bake in two separate pans.
Can I make these blondies gluten-free?
Feel free to use gluten-free cake mixes in exchange for a classic cake mix. You are more than welcome to make them with gluten-free mixes if you need.
There’s nothing dry or crumbly here!, they will melt right in your mouth like an excellent blondie should.
Strawberry Lemon Blondies
Strawberry Brownies Ingredients:
- 1 15.25 oz box of strawberry cake mix I used Betty Crocker
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries chopped
Lemon Brownies Ingredients:
- 1 15.25 oz box of lemon cake mix I used Betty Crocker
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice add a few extra drops if needed for desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line your 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper. Set it to the side.
- In one bowl you will add your lemon cake, lemon juice, egg, and zest. Mix well to combine. Then set it to the side.
- In a new bowl add your strawberry cake mix, lemon juice, and eggs. Mix well. Then fold in the strawberries.
- Spoon the lemon and strawberry batter into different sections in the pan. You want to create dimension
- Then you will use a knife and swirl the two flavors together.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the blondies are fully cooked. Use a toothpick to stick in center and make sure that there is no wet batter left.
- Remove the bars and let them cool completely. Once cooled slice into squares.
- In a small bowl mix your glaze ingreidents. Once it is fully mixed drizzle it over the strawberry lemon brownies.